The South Wing Computer Room (SWCR) was set up in 2010 as a small research facility (SRF) to provide managed accommodation for rack mounted equipment for research groups. It is overseen by a Management Committee, which derives its authority from the Information Technology Strategy Committee (ITSC), and has representation from IT Services, finance and significant user groups of the SWCR. The committee meets at least once a Term.
SWCR SRF Committee membership
|Gábor Csányi (Chair)||Division C|
|Dan Sexton||Head of Information and Computing Services|
|Paul Whitehouse||IT Infrastructure Manager|
|Anne Waldock||Finance Manager|
|Rachel Williams||Head of Building Estate Services|
|Stewart Cant||Division A|
|Phil Woodland||Division F|
The secretary to the committee is Diane Hazell, the ICS administrator (email@example.com).
All users are charged for keeping computer equipment in the SWCR according to the following schedule.
- Basic users – Serviced Rack Space £125 / month / half-rack (equivalent to £250/month/rack, and £3000/year/rack).
This charge includes all operational, maintenance and recurrent costs, including payment of the Carbon Reduction Levy (estimated at £15/month/rack).
|User||1/2 x rack, monthly||1 x rack, monthly||1 x rack, annually|
|Basic user – Standard Space charge||£125||£250||£3000|
- Server Rental Is a facility where large users can rent computer time. Large users are free to enter into long term agreements with the SWCR management committee under which equipment itself is paid for by the SWCR and rented by the user at an appropriately higher rate.
- Small Users – 2U or less One rack is reserved for Small Users, defined as 2U or less, which can be kept in the SWCR free of charge, with a time limit of one year which will be reviewed.
Terms and conditions
- Users of equipment kept in the SWCR should understand that placing their equipment there does not create new responsibilities and
liabilities with regards to equipment damage and failure, over and above existing arrangements in the Department.
- The University has an insurance policy, and equipment owners are encouraged to find out about insurance cover and any limitations of liability.
- Equipment under the control of a PI needs to be as contiguous in its placement of the racks as possible, with the maximum current
drawn being 32A for every half-rack.
- Small Users – 2U or less need to apply to the Chairman of the SWCR Committee Gábor Csányi to agree on placement of their equipment; all equipment must have a valid maintenance contract.